Why we collect information and how it is used
Why we collect information and how it is used
We treat your information with the importance it deserves. We are committed to protecting your information, handling it responsibly and securing it with administrative, technical and physical measures and safeguards. All genetic test results and any Personal Information are maintained under a strict policy of confidentiality.
- Your DNA sample and data remain your property, are stored on secure encrypted services, can be destroyed anytime at your request, and will never be shared without your consent.
- Our analysis is limited to the DNA markers we report on. Your results won’t include diseases, can’t be used to identify you, nor will they have any bearing towards insurance policies.
Information We Collect
We generally collect the following information:
- Information you share directly with us. We collect and process your information when you place an order, create an account, register your myDNA Collection Kit and contact Customer Support. This information can generally be categorized as Registration Information and/or Self-Reported Information.
- Registration Information includes Personal Information, such as your name, date of birth, billing and shipping address, payment information (e.g., credit card) and contact information (e.g. email, phone number).
- Self-Reported Information includes additional information you provide about yourself through surveys, forms and applications. For example, you may provide us with information about your nutrition goals, fitness goals and other health or wellness related information.
- Information from our DNA testing services. With your consent, we extract your DNA from your DNA sample and analyse it to produce your Genetic Information in order to provide you with myDNA insights, recommendations and plans.
- Information from third parties who lawfully provide it to us.
How We Use Information
We generally process Personal Information for the following reasons:
- To provide our Services.
We process Personal Information in order to provide our Service, which includes processing payments, shipping kits to customers, creating customer accounts and authenticating logins, analysing DNA samples and delivering results and powering tools that benefit our customers.
- To analyse and improve our Services.
We constantly work to improve and provide new insights, plans and Services. We may also need to fix bugs or issues, analyse use of our website to improve the customer experience or assess our marketing campaigns.
By verifying your contact information, you are agreeing that we may send you product emails or notifications about our Services and offers on new products and services. You can unsubscribe from receiving these marketing communications at any time. To manage the emails we send you or unsubscribe, follow the “unsubscribe” link in the email footer. You may not opt-out of receiving non-promotional messages regarding your account, such as technical notices, purchase confirmations, or Service-related emails.
Control: Your Choices
myDNA gives you the ability to share information in a variety of ways. You choose:
- To store or discard your DNA sample after it has been analysed. In the event that you choose to store your DNA sample, it would be stored securely in our medical laboratory that is certified and has internal quality and access control procedures as required by international standards.
Please note: myDNA monthly subscribers will require their DNA sample to be stored in the event further analysis is required to publish new insights as they become available.
- When and with whom you share your information, including friends, family members, health care professionals, or other individuals outside our Services.
- To delete your myDNA account and data, at any time.
You have the right to make a complaint about how your data in handled.
Disclosure of Your Information
Your Personal Information will never be shared without your consent:
- We will not sell, lease, or rent your individual-level protected health information to any third party without your consent.
- We do not share customer data with any public databases.
- We will not provide any Personal Information to an insurance company or employer.
- We will not provide information to law enforcement or regulatory authorities unless required by law to comply with a valid court order, subpoena, or search warrant for genetic or Personal Information.
How We Secure Information
myDNA implements measures and systems to ensure confidentiality, integrity, and availability of myDNA data.
Anonymisation, encryption, and data segmentation.
Registration Information is stripped from Sensitive Information, including genetic and phenotypic data. This data is then assigned a random ID so the person who provided the data cannot reasonably be identified. Additionally, data are segmented across logical database systems to further prevent re-identifiability.
Limiting access to essential personnel.
We limit access of information to authorized personnel, based on job function and role.
Detecting threats and managing vulnerabilities.
myDNA uses state of the art intrusion detection and prevention measures to stop any potential attacks against its networks.